HDFS takes pride in being able to offer students financial support. Unless otherwise stated there is no additional application process; all students who meet the eligibility criteria are considered for all awards.

As per University policy, fellowships above $5,000 per semester ($10,000 per academic year), and teaching or research assistantships between 25% and 67% will automatically generate a full tuition waiver for the student.

The below listed fellowships and assistantships are completely separate from state and federal financial aid. Students interested in grant and loan opportunities should contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.


College of ACES Jonathan Baldwin Turner (JBT) Fellowships

Each year up to 4 of our students are awarded a Jonathan Baldwin Turner Fellowship (JBT). The JBT Fellowships are competitive and only students with high GRE percentiles and corresponding GPAs are eligible for consideration. Also, the recipient must be entering their degree program at the time of award. The JBT Fellowships are awarded for multi-year periods (given adequate progress in the degree program) and provide a monthly stipend plus tuition and fee waivers. This is a College of ACES fellowship; candidates are nominated by the department. The annual stipend for this scholarship is $20,000 per year for two years for Master's students and $22,500 per year for three years for Doctoral students.

Recipients of the JBT Fellowship work on a faculty-sponsored research project as an apprenticeship. JBT recipients are allowed to accept additional assistantships of up to 50%, if such funding is available.

HDFS Clareta Walker Graduate Fellowship

As a result of a generous donation from Clareta Walker in January 1996, the Clareta Walker Endowment Fund was established to provide graduate fellowships in the Department of Human Development and Family Studies. A fellowship of approximately $5,000 will be awarded annually to an entering or continuing graduate student in HDFS with interests in applied research and/or outreach in community-based programs with older youth. The recipient works with HDFS extension faculty on an applied project.

Other HDFS Graduate Fellowships

In addition to these fellowships, the Department also has several fellowships including the Janice Smith Graduate Fellowship, the Marshall Scott Fellowship, and the Emily Schroeder Graduate Fellowship that are given to new and/or continuing students.

Graduate College Fellowships

Many students in the Department have also received highly competitive Graduate College Fellowships. These one, two, and three year awards are designated for outstanding students from populations that have been traditionally underrepresented in graduate study.

Also, HDFS receives competitive Block Grant Fellowship funds from the Graduate College. These are used in a variety of ways to provide student support.

Fellowship Database

The Graduate College maintains an extensive list of external fellowship and traineeship opportunities and provides application support to graduate students: Graduate College Fellowship Finder.


The Director of Graduate Programs appoints teaching (TA), research (RA), and other graduate assistantships (GA). Most assistantships are for at least 25% time and several assistantships are 50% time. Currently, students earn $8720.00 with a 25% appointment for work in the Fall and Spring. With a 50% assistantship a student will earn $17,439.00. All research and teaching assistantships that are at least 25% and less than 67% for three-quarters of both semesters include a tuition and a partial fee waiver. A TA or RA during the academic year provides for a tuition and a partial fee waiver for summer school. Currently, the value of the tuition waiver would be about $12,688 for in-state students and $27,412 for non-resident students.

Students in our doctoral program who have earned a master's degree are eligible to apply to teach their own course. The Department Head is responsible for appointing these positions and there is an application process. Students interested in teaching their own course are strongly encouraged to pursue one of several teaching certificates offered through the Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning.

Assistantships and hourly positions from other units on campus can be found on the Graduate Student Advisory Council Assistantship Clearinghouse website.

Research and Travel Funds

Each year the department provides each HDFS doctoral student with an award of $300-$400 to pay for research related travel (e.g., conference presentations, data collection, methodological training).

In addition, the College of ACES offers HDFS students an award for professional development. The Susan Bates Funkhouser awards are given three times each year and typically two HDFS students are nominated each round.

The University of Illinois Graduate College offers a number of fellowships and small grants on a competitive basis for graduate students research or travel to deliver papers accepted at conferences. Applications are generally considered twice a year for most awards. In order to be considered, students must first submit their applications to their departments for evaluation and ranking. Each department then forwards a limited set of nominations on to the Graduate College for further consideration. The Director of Graduate Programs will provide information on eligibility and deadlines when announcements are forwarded by the Graduate College. Information on these fellowships and awards can be found in the Grants and Awards section of the Graduate College website.