Changing Majors

Two students sit on steps smiling and doing homework

If you are exploring a new major, HDFS has a lot to offer. You can pursue your passion for working with people and impacting the lives of children and families in a multitude of environments. Many of our students also pursue advanced degrees. You could be:

  • A pediatrician who helps a family identify a child’s developmental delays
  • A family policy analyst who influences adoption laws
  • The administrator of an after-school program for at risk kids
  • A therapist who helps a couple strengthen their relationship

If you want to be a key person in the lives of children and families, HDFS is the right place to be!

If you are a current University of Illinois student

To change your major to HDFS, you need to fill out an application. You can apply the first week of classes in the Fall/Spring or mid-semester.  The application deadlines for the 2019-2020 academic year are:

  • August 30, 2019
  • October 24, 2019
  • January 24, 2020

Download the Fall 2019 Application (Note: use Internet Explorer to open the application)

We look for students who:

  • have a passion for working with people
  • have a minimum overall and Illinois GPA of 2.5

Suggested courses to explore the major are:

  • HDFS 105 – Intro to Human Development
  • HDFS 120 – Intro to Family Studies

If you are transferring from another University

The first step is applying to the University of Illinois. You’ll work through the admissions office to complete the transfer process.

Apply Now

Additional information about course requirements to transfer can be found on the Advising FAQ page.