If you are exploring a new major, HDFS has a lot to offer. You can pursue your passion for working with people and impacting the lives of children and families in a multitude of environments. Many of our students also pursue advanced degrees. You could be:
- A pediatrician who helps a family identify a child’s developmental delays
- A family policy analyst who influences adoption laws
- The administrator of an after-school program for at risk kids
- A therapist who helps a couple strengthen their relationship
If you want to be a key person in the lives of children and families, HDFS is the right place to be!
If you are a current University of Illinois student
To change your major to HDFS, you need to fill out an application. You can apply the first week of classes in the Fall/Spring or mid-semester.
The application deadlines are:
- January 25, 2023, noon
- March 10, 2023, noon
Download the HDFS Changing Majors Application (pdf)
Due to the Coronavirus, students may email their completed application to email@example.com. Applications still need to be complete by the deadline.
We look for students who:
- have a passion for working with people
- have a minimum overall and Illinois GPA of 2.5 and/or strengths in social science courses
Suggested courses to explore the major are:
- HDFS 105 – Intro to Human Development
- HDFS 120 – Intro to Family Studies
If you are transferring from another University
The first step is applying to the University of Illinois. You’ll work through the admissions office to complete the transfer process.
Additional information about course requirements to transfer can be found on the Advising FAQ page.